Looking after your braces
To get the best results from your braces you need to keep them in good condition. Here are some top tips on caring for your braces. After all, the better the shape of your braces, the straighter your teeth and the more beautiful smile you will have after treatment.
Five top tips for brace care
- Use a soft toothbrush: Food can easily get stuck in the wires and brackets of your braces so it’s important to clean your teeth after every meal. While the brackets are bonded to your teeth with strong adhesive glue, you still need to be careful of them. Brush gently around them with a soft toothbrush to dislodge any food and ensure plaque doesn’t build up.
- Maintain your oral hygiene routine: Brushing and flossing your teeth should be a regular part of your oral hygiene routine already; this should be continued once you are fitted with your braces. Plaque and bacteria can quickly build up if food gets caught in your braces but a good oral hygiene routine will help to keep this at bay.
- Rinse with mouthwash: Rinsing with a fluoride mouthwash every time you clean your teeth will not only help keep bacteria at bay, it will also help to strengthen your teeth. Mouthwash works by removing or loosening food particles that brushing or flossing may not have been able to reach. This can also ensure good gum health.
- Use disclosing tablets: While wearing braces it’s really important to ensure plaque doesn’t build up on your teeth. Brushing, flossing and rinsing with mouthwash will all help to prevent this but an extra step you can take is to use disclosing tablets. As you chew these tablets, a pink colour will be released. This pink colour will stain any plaque that is on your teeth so you will be able to identify the areas that need that extra bit of care and attention.
- Eat well: There aren’t too many restrictions on what you can and can’t eat while having orthodontic treatment but there are a few guidelines you should follow which we’ve outlined on our eating with braces page.